About Dr Rajiv Shah
Presentations & Publications
Awards, Medals & Honours
Culture & Literature
About Dr Rajiv Shah
M.B.B.S., M.S. (Orthopaedics), Baroda Medical College, Vadodara, Gujarat
Foot & ankle fellow, Columbus, Ohio, USA
Foot & ankle fellow, Chicago, USA
Foot & ankle fellow, Gijon, Spain
India’s 1st Foot & Ankle Surgeon
India’s 1st Foot & Ankle Centre of Excellence
Director of India’s 1st Foot & Ankle Fellowship & Training Centre
Honorary Foot & Ankle Surgeon to Honourable Governor of Gujarat (2018-19)
Chairman, Asia-Pacific Foot & Ankle Council
Vice President, Asia-Pacific Society for Foot & Ankle Surgery
Executive Board Member, Global Foot & Ankle Council
South Asia Coordinator & international advisor, Foot Innovate
President, Indian Foot & Ankle Society, (2014-15)
National Chairman, Indo-US Foot & ankle course(2010 till date)
Member, editorial board, Asia-Pacific journal of foot & ankle surgery(2013 till date)
Managing director, Sunshine Global Hospitals
Ex-chairman, Unity Hospital, Vadodara
Ex-chairman, Sterling Unity hospital, Vadodara
Ex-chairman, E.M.S., Vadodara
- M.S. (Orthopaedics) from The Maharaja Sayajirao University, Vadodara (Baroda Medical College, S.S.G.Hospital) at first attempt with the best performance
- M.B.B.S from Baroda Medical College, M S University, Vadodara. Stood 10th in the batch
- 1st in Vadodara district, 3rd in Vadodara city at Higher Secondary Examination (12th Standard) conducted by Gujarat State Higher Secondary Board
- 1st in Vadodara centre, 2nd in Vadodara city and 8th in Gujarat State at New S.S.C. examination (10th Standard) conducted by Gujarat State S.S.C. Board
- Gold Medal by Gujarat State S.S.C. Board for securing highest marks in the state in the subject of Gujarati
- Stood first in school throughout standard 1st to 10th
- Fellowship at Nice, France,2002
- Fellowship at Columbus, U.S.A.,2003
- Fellowship at Seol, South Korea,2004
- Fellowship at Philadelphia, U.S.A.,2005
- Fellowship at Chicago, U.S.A.,2005
- Fellowship at Hamburg, Germany,2006
- Fellowship at Gijon, Spain,2007
- Fellowship in France, 2008
- Fellowship at Coimbatore, 2009
- India’s 1st foot & ankle surgeon who established India’s 1st Foot & ankle centre of excellence
- Fellowship in Japan, 2012
- First foot & ankle fellowship and training centre of India which trained more than 35 foot & ankle surgeons from India and abroad
- India’s only Foot & ankle centre nominated as a training centre for orthopaedic surgeons of Brown University, New York, U.S.A.
- Delivered more than 350 podium presentations at various international & national meetings as guest faculty in the field of orthopaedics
- Delivered many non-academic lectures focused on healthcare management at various platforms
- Delivered most prestigious ‘Oration Lectures’ at annual meetings of Indore Orthopaedic Association, Bihar Orthopaedic Association, Malwa Orthopaedic Association, and Indian Foot & Ankle Society
- Published many Research papers in acclaimed international & national orthopaedic journals
- Written chapters in twelve international books in the field of foot and ankle orthopaedics
- Own book titled ‘Handbook of Orthopaedics’ was awarded as the best orthopaedic book of the year 2014-15.
- The writer of an only medical science book from India, which got translated into Portuguese, Chinese & Arabic
- ‘Visiting Professor’ at internationally acclaimed universities in China and South Korea
Executive director, Shiv critical care & Baroda Healthcare Pvt.Ltd.
Chairman, Unity hospital & Unity medicare Pvt.Ltd.
Chairman, Sterling-Unity hospital
Chairman, Emergency Medical Services, Vadodara
Founder Partner, Foot & Ankle Associates
Founder, first-ever centre of excellence for foot & ankle orthopaedics
First-ever foot & ankle website launch – www.footankleindia.com, www.footankle.in
Managing Director, Baroda Medicare Pvt Ltd
Managing Director, Harmony Healthcare Pvt Ltd
Executive Director, D R healthcare Pvt Ltd
Vice president, Indian Foot & Ankle Society
President, Baroda Orthopaedic Association
President, Indian Foot & Ankle Society
National Chairman, Indo-US Foot & Ankle Meetings
Managing trustee, Unity trust
President, Suman Sanskar Kendra
Director, Parekh orthopaedics
Presentations & Publications
- Combination method of treatment of heel pain due to plantar fasciitis and heel spur. Paper presentation at annual meeting of Gujarat orthopaedic association, 2008. (Winner of best paper award).
- Study of early results of modified chevron osteotomy for hallux valgus. Paper presentation at annual meeting of Gujarat orthopaedic association, 2009.
- Study of early results of modified chevron osteotomy for hallux valgus. Paper presentation at annual meeting of Asia-Pacific foot and ankle society, 2010.
- Role of footwear in sports. Journal of foot and ankle surgery (India). Volume XXIV, 2011;2:22-26.
- Indian foot and ankle scenario: International perspective. Foot and ankle specialist. 2011;4(6):390-394.
- Malunion in foot and ankle: Prevention and management. Journal of foot and ankle surgery (India). Volume XXVII, June 2012;1:34-35.
- Calcaneal malunion: prevention and management. Journal of foot and ankle surgery (India). Volume XXVII, June 2012;1:39-41.
- Calcaneus malunion: Indian perspective. Journal of foot and ankle surgery (Asia-Pacific). Jan 2014, Vol.30; (1):110-11.
- Are we too casual for foot and ankle trauma? Paper presentation at annual conference of Indian orthopaedic association,2014.
- Ten Commandments of midfoot trauma. Poster presentation: IOACON, 2014.
- Fracture Talus: be aggressive, be suspicious. Poster presentation: IOACON, 2014.
- Foot & ankle malunion: prevention and management. Poster presentation: IOACON, 2014.
- Calcaneal malunion needs to be approached like spine case. Poster presentation: IOACON, 2014.
- Economical set up for foot and ankle practice for underdeveloped countries. Journal of foot and ankle surgery (Asia-Pacific). Jan 2015, Vol.31;(1):80-86.
- Lateral extensile versus sinus tarsi approach for fixation of calcaneus fractures: World clinics of orthopaedics. September 2015, Vol.2, No.1:49-61.
- Hallux varus: an under reported presentation of rheumatoid arthritis. Foot and ankle specialist. 2015, Volume: 9 issue: 2, page(s): 169-173.
- An Improvised Technique for Medial Malleolar Osteotomy. Techniques in foot and ankle surgery. (2020).
- Total calcanectomy: Treatment for non-healing plantar ulcer with chronic osteomyelitis of the calcaneus. Journal of clinical orthopaedics and trauma.11 (2020).
- A rare case of recurrent medial dislocation of the 1st metatarsophalangeal joint in a professional athlete. The Foot, 47(2021),101785.
- ‘ADENO classification for calcaneus malunion’: Veteran Surgeon Forum Presentation at annual meeting of Gujarat Orthopaedic Association, GOACON, 2016.
- What do you do to achilles tendon if fancy toys are not available? Foot and ankle clinics of North America, December,2017.17.
- Delayed presentation or delayed diagnosis? A retrospective study of prospectively collected data of 482 foot and ankle injuries. Injury, 2017.S1-S6.
- Diabetic Ankle Fractures: Does Management Differ? Journal of foot and ankle surgery (Asia-pacific). July-December 2017;4(2):1-7
- “Bamboo Hut Technique” to Cover Large Defects During Tibiotalocalcaneal Fusion. Techniques in Foot & Ankle Surgery. 2020.
- Role of Arthroscopy in Various Ankle Disorders. Indian Journal of Orthopaedics. (2021)55;33-341.
- Tarsal Coalitions in Adults: A Case Series. Journal of Foot and Ankle surgery (Asia-Pacific). (2021).
- Management of rigid poliomyelitis equinocavovarus deformities. Journal of Foot and Ankle surgery (Asia-Pacific). (2021).
- Editorial: Ankle fracture symposium. Journal of foot and ankle surgery (Asia-pacific). July-December 2017.
- Unusual Presentation of Tuberculosis of Subtalar Joint. Journal of Orthopaedic Case Reports 2018 Jan-Feb : 8(1):Page 80-84.
- Foot and ankle surgery in India (Editorial). Indian Journal of Orthopaedics, 54, pages1–2(2020).
- A Rare Case of Flexor Hallucis Longus Tendinitis Due to Sesamoid Bone at the Interphalangeal Joint of the Great Toe:A case report. Journal of Foot and Ankle Surgery (Asia-Pacific). (2020).
Plantar heel pain: Chapter18, Foot & ankle surgery: Selene Parekh, Jaypee Publishers.2012
Interpretation of Imaging and Preoperative Management: Chapter 5, Calcaneus: Mandeep Dhillon, Jaypee Publishers. 2013
Malunion Calcaneus Understanding it, Classification and treatment Planning: Chapter 17, Calcaneus: Mandeep Dhillon, Jaypee Publishers. 2013
Section Editor: Chronic foot & ankle disorders, Textbook of Orthopaedics & traumatology: G S Kulkarni, 3rd edition. Jaypee Publishers.
Radiological analysis of foot and ankle injuries: Textbook of Orthopaedics & traumatology: G S Kulkarni, 3rd edition. Jaypee Publishers.
Nonunion talus & AVN: chapter 15. Guidelines in fracture management. G S Kulkarni. Thieme Publishers, 2014.
Role and place of ankle arthroscopy in the management of tibial pilon fractures. Chapter 14. Guidelines in fracture management. G S Kulkarni. Thieme Publishers, 2016.
Malunion calcaneus: management options. Chapter 32. Guidelines in fracture management. G S Kulkarni. Thieme Publishers, 2016.
Calcaneus malunion with subtalar fusion. Chapter 18. Fractures of the foot and ankle. Nirmal Tejwani. Springer Publications, 2018.
Displaced talar body fractures. Chapter 5.5. AO Manual of fracture management-foot and ankle. Thieme Publishers, 2019.
Multiple metatarsal neck fractures. Chapter 7.5. AO Manual of fracture management-foot and ankle. Thieme Publishers, 2019.
An International Perspective on the Foot and Ankle in sports: India. Chapter 25. Baxter’s the foot and ankle in sports. Lew Schon. Elsevier Publishers, 2020.
Awards, Medals & Honours
“Olympian Honours Award”, awarded for True Olympian Spirit of “Caring For Human Race”, selection of which was done by patients in response to “Heart to Heart” campaign by Cadila Industries
District Middle School Scholarship Award. District Higher School Scholarship Award
National Talent Search Scholarship Award. Gold Medal for Highest Marks in Gujarati subject in the whole State in S.S.C. Exams
Gold Medal by Sri Dabhoi Dasalad Samaj for first in Samaj in Std. X. Gold Medal by Sri Dabhoi Dasalad Samaj for first in Samaj in Std. XII
Gold Medal by Sri Dabhoi Dasalad Samaj for first in Samaj in 1st M.B.B.S. Gold Medal by Sri Dabhoi Dasalad Samaj for first in Samaj in 2nd M.B.B.S
Honoured by Baroda Municipal Corporation for securing maximum number of Awards at national inter-college festival named “PHOENIX – 82”
Gold Medal by Sri Dabhoi Dasalad Samaj for first in Samaj in 3rd M.B.B.S. Merit Award by M.S. University of Baroda for Best Performer in M.S. (Orthopedics) Exams
Gold Medal by Sri Dabhoi Dasalad Samaj for first in Samaj in M.S. (Orthopedics). Vikas Ratna Award by International Friendship Society of India – 1995.
‘Best Orthopedic Book Award’ by Bombay Orthopaedic Societyfor year 2015.
Culture & Literature
- Winner of many interschool, intercollege, interuniversity, intercity, state & national level debates, extempore debates & essay competitions.
- ‘Creative Gujarati writer (S.A.G.A.R.)’ for short stories, dramas, poems and ghazals. These became part of reputed magazines and were broadcasted on ‘AKASHVANI (All India Radio)’, Ahmedabad & Vadodara Station
- Acted and directed many one-act, two-act and three-act dramas, skits and mimes. Secured many prizes and awards for best acting and direction.
- Judge for many competitions for drama, skit, mime and mono-acting
- B high cadre ‘Radio drama artist’ from the last 30 years at ‘AKASHVANI (All India Radio)’, Ahmedabad & Vadodara Station
- Creative writer for magazines like ‘Medicus’, ‘Kankavati’, ‘Strategy’ and ‘Samvaad’
- ‘Interviewer’ for Radio Interviews at AKASHWANI, All India Radio, Vadodara Station
- B-high grade T.V. artist
- Radio announcer -only postgraduate doctor radio announcer of country
- Secretary of Medico-Cultural Group – a Group of Culturally and Literarily active medicos
- An active member of ‘Medico Film Club’, a film club featuring award winner films from different countries
- Editor of M S University’s house bulletin ‘E.M.E.S.T.E.R.’
- Coordinator of ‘Yuvavani’ program at AKASHWANI, All India Radio, Vadodara Station
- Publically honoured by Vadodara Municipal Corporation for procuring prizes and medals at national level inter medical events in the fields of dramatics
- ‘Compere’ for radio programmes at AKASHVANI, All India Radio, Vadodara Station
- ‘Television artist’ for serials and dramas at Pij television station
- Only postgraduate doctor ‘Radio Announcer’ of India at ‘AKASHVANI (All India Radio)’, Ahmedabad & Vadodara Station
- B-high grade radio drama artist from last 39 years
Formed ‘Medicos Medicare Association’ during 3rd M.B.B.S. and internship which served at two slums for health upliftment
Founder Member of Lions Club, G.I.D.C., Waghodia
Conceived and established “Baroda Foot Project” – an ongoing Project to give free prosthesis to amputees
Team leader for 1st ‘Bhuj earthquake relief team’ of District to conduct exhaustive onsite rescue and relief operations
Written, acted, directed and staged many street-plays pertaining to social reforms and problems
Written articles on ‘Medical Social Problems’ in leading dailies
Exhibitions and films on ‘Health Awareness’ at social and religious gatherings
Chief Guest, inaugurator and guest of honour at many social and religious functions
Conducted many medical camps, health check-up camps and charitable surgeries organized by various Clubs, Societies, Yuvak Mandals, Samajs and Groups
As an active member of ‘Jan Jagrut Samiti’ conducted activities of social welfare like free health check-up camps in needy population
Managing Trustee of Unity Trust – a Trust which helps poor and needy patients
Founder Member and Chairman of Vadodara E.M.S. Project. This project worked for pre-hospital care and emergency room treatment up gradation in city
Project ‘We Walk’ for correction of foot & ankle problems of leprosy patients at Shram Mandir Trust run Leprosy Colony.
Project ‘Save The Foot’ for diabetic patients.